Why is a tradition important?

Home Forums Family and relationship Tradition Why is a tradition important?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Brian Miller
      Participant

I’ve followed small little familial traditions since I was a kid. Some of them I still follow now in my old age. Traditions can be important because they make you feel a kind of nostalgia, or familiarity.

Something I still do is visit Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester, as that is the place I proposed to my late wife all those years ago. The emotions I feel when I’m there can be overwhelming, but the memories make it all worth it.

Janie Stevens
      Participant

Have you read the book, that will take you a year!

Janie Stevens
      Participant

I think traditions are dying, as people become less conscious of the past and live in the present. We hear all the time that we are supposed to live in the moment, live for today, and forget the past and not worry about the future. Yes, all well and good. But it is important to have grounding. To know who you are, and to have pointers from the past as to how to address yourself today and to give you rails for the future. And yes tradition is very much a part of that. But I think that our social media driven age is killing it. Do you agree?

Rachel Adams
      Participant

Tradition is what connects a group of people, such as a family and friendship group. Even when your lives are so different, small traditions such as watching films or game nights help you to keep and develop the connection you already have. It also helps you to remember the good memories you have with those people.

Harry
      Participant

Once a year me and my best friend re-watch the Lord of the Rings movies. For us it makes sure that we always resonate on one of the main things we both love. It keeps us attatched.
      It’s a tradition that I value quite a lot.

1+
      Sarah Milburn
      Participant

Traditions can be very important. Family traditions, such as holiday locations or weekly restaurant visits can help bring a family closer together and strengthen the bond between family members.

Larger well known traditions, such as Halloween and New Years Eve, mark certain eras and events in history. Celebrating these traditions help to keep the memories of these events alive.

2+
      John
      Participant

Tradition is what keeps our ancestry, memory and history alive. It is important for us to be aware and remember where we came from so that we can learn and move forward.

1+
      sophiadm
      Participant

Hi. As every family has its tradition. I saw a lot of traditions in my family. Some are cultural and some are non-cultural. But I cannot understand the importance of traditions. So what is the importance of traditions?

Is tradition a good thing?

1+
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be registered as a ReMeLife Member and logged in to reply to and create new topics

Favourite suppliers

REHABILITY

With REHABILITY, patients can carry out their rehabilitation exercises, from either the centre in which they are hospitalized or remotely, autonomously but with constant medical supervision. This...

Dyslexia Shop

The Dyslexia Shop stocks thousands of carefully selected products to help people with Dyslexia and special educational needs / learning difficulties. Why The Dyslexia Shop? We pride ourselves on...

The Tiger Health Monitoring Watch

The TigerFIT Pro is a 24X7 Guardian Angel for your family. It is a Smart Personal Security Device & Health Monitor with GPS Tracker,...

MindForYou – Supported Holidays for People with Dementia

MindforYou was founded in September 2014 after personal experience highlighted the challenges of traditional respite for families living with dementia. Our supported 5 day...

Dementia pathfinders

Dementia Pathfinders Community Interest Company is a social enterprise delivering education and learning for people working in the dementia care field and providing therapeutic care...